Senate Race Watch: Nevada
We're keeping a close eye on the Senate race in Nevada.
NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC-endorsed candidate Rep. Shelley Berkley is in a very tight race against anti-choice incumbent Sen. Dean Heller.
Rep. Berkley is a champion for women's reproductive health and privacy, and we're proud to stand with her in the upcoming election.
- She helped lead the charge against the "Rape Audits" bill, which could have spurred the IRS to audit survivors of sexual assault who chose abortion care, and inserts anti-choice politics into the tax code.
- She also voted twice against proposals to block Planned Parenthood from receiving any federal funds, which would have denied millions of Americans access to contraception, cancer screenings, and other basic medical care.
Rep. Berkley's opponent Sen. Dean Heller believes that politicians should make women's private health-care decisions for them.
- Sen. Heller voted twice to defund Planned Parenthood.
- He voted for a bill that would essentially eliminate insurance coverage of abortion in the new health-care system.
- Sen. Heller also supported the Blunt amendment which, if passed and enacted into law, would have allowed corporations and insurance companies to refuse to cover birth control and other essential health benefits, including maternity care, HIV/AIDS treatment, and cancer screenings.
Sen. Heller's anti-choice policies are out of touch with the values of Nevada voters.
The Silver State needs a pro-choice leader who will protect women's freedom and privacy and oppose policies that gamble with women's health.
If you have friends in Nevada, make sure they vote for pro-choice Senate candidate Shelley Berkley on November 6.
Paid for by NARAL Pro-Choice America, www.ProChoiceAmerica.org, and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.