Give Us a Break, Speaker Boehner
How's this for chutzpah?
John Boehner, the anti-choice speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and mastermind behind the War on Women, went on the House floor today to say...there is no War on Women:
And now, now we are going to have a fight over women's health. Give me a break. This is the latest plank in the so-called War on Women. Entirely created, entirely created by my colleagues across the aisle for political gain.
So, Mr. Speaker, I guess we all just imagined the last 16 months. I guess we all just imagined that:
- The U.S. House of Representatives held more choice-related votes in 2011 than in any year since 2000.
- The House voted to defund Planned Parenthood and eliminate the Title X family-planning program. And Mitt Romney has vowed to do both of these things should he ever reach the White House.
- Anti-choice lawmakers pushed the Blunt amendment, which could have allowed employers and corporations to block their employees from getting insurance coverage of birth control. Every Republican senator but one voted for this measure--and Gov. Romney voiced his support for it.
- They held a House committee hearing with an all-male panel attacking birth control.
- At the state level, these politicians enacted twice as many anti-choice laws in 2011 as they did in the previous year.
And I guess we imagined it when you said the "rape-audits" bill, which manipulates the tax code to advance anti-choice policies and could spur the IRS to audit rape and incest survivors who choose abortion care, was one of your "highest legislative priorities"?
Speaker Boehner, you can't deny a War on Women that you started.